Calendar and Announcements
Mount Ida Home (Oct 1964) Ellicott City MD Photo: Library of Congress
Oct 24-26, 2014: HallowRead Conference/Ghost Expedition Ellicott City MD
Maryland Paranormal Research ® will host a paranormal investigation demonstration at the Hallowread 2014 conference in Historic Ellicott City Maryland. Visit the HallowRead Facebook site to attend this event and participate in giveaways.
Mount Ida, pictured above, was constructed in 1828 for William Ellicott, son of Jonathan and Sara Ellicott, and grandson of Andrew Ellicott, one of the founders of Ellicott Mills (now Ellicott City).
The home was built of rubble stone, stucco and painted old Maryland gold. The architecture is expression Greek Revival blended with Quaker simplicity. William Ellicott’s time in his new home was unfortunately short-lived; he passed away in 1838 at the age of 43.
In the 1850’s Mount Ida became the residence of Judge John Snowden Tyson and his wife Rachel, who were among Maryland’s more prominent families. After their deaths in the 1870s, the property passed to their heirs and this when the ghost legends took form.
The eldest son John, an attorney, died tragically in a boating accident. He left behind three maiden sisters, all of whom resided in the home for the rest of their lives. The last to pass away was Miss Ida Tyson. Locals believe her ghost maintains a presence in the house.
The elder Miss Ida reportedly kept a ring of keys with her at all times. Workers claim to hear the sound of her keys rattling as she roams the house.
“During the last years of her life, Miss Ida was recalled as a lively person who used and ear horn and a cane to move about.” “She is said to have loved the old house and the spirit that she left behind certainly seems to be a benevolent one.”
John McDonald Home c1910 Sykesville MD Photo: Sykesvilleonline.com
May 24-25, 2014: Ghost Expedition Sykesville Town House
Sykesville has been called “The Town That Refused to Die.” During the Great Maryland Flood of 1868 the Patapsco river swept away the town and a fire in 1937 destroyed the heart of its business district.
The Sykesville Town House dates back to 1893 where it was home to Sykesville businessman John McDonald, who owned the town’s stone-built general store. Today Sykesville Town House is the seat of the town government.
However it has acquired a haunted reputation over recent decades. Most reported activity can be characterized as prankish including odd noises, footsteps, object displacements and doors opening/closing on their own.
His apparition and that of an unknown woman have been seen. Millard was also fond of cigars and the faint aroma of cigar smoke can be detected in the attic.
A paranormal team captured a phrase-length EVP while investigating the building that said “burned to the ground.” Perhaps a reference to the 1937 fire?
Sykesville Town House c1970 Sykesville MD Photo: Carroll County Times
Leonardtown MD circa 1930 Photo: Chronicles of St. Mary’s 1980 edition
Leonardtown MD: Film Documentary on Moll Dyer Ghost Legend
A local production company is searching for anyone who has had an encounter with the ghost of Moll Dyer for an upcoming television series. If you’ve had an experience with this legendary Southern Maryland witch, contact Laura Rammelsburg via email at email@example.com.[Artistic rendering of Moll Dyer legend by Norma Durkin.]
Brunswick Heritage Museum c1978 Photo: Maryland Inventory of Hist Properties
Oct 12-13, 2013: Ghost Expedition at Brunswick Heritage Museum
The Brunswick Heritage Museum celebrates the town’s legacy as a major rail hub for the historic Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad. Brunswick was once home to the world’s largest rail yard upon its completion in 1907.
The museum is located in a building dating to 1904 and that once housed the Improved Order of Red Men, a drinking society whose origins trace to the secret patriotic societies before the American Revolution.
For many decades the building was owned by another community-oriented secret society called the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
According to various accounts, reports of haunted activity include:
A woman in a white dress seen walking around the second floor.
Instances of strange noises (footsteps/voices) and object displacement.
Cockeys Tavern c1910 Westminster MD Photo: Hist Society of Carroll County
May 25-26, 2013: Ghost Expedition at Cockey’s Tavern, Westminster MD
Situated along Falls Turnpike Road, Cockey’s Tavern operated as a hostelry, store and tavern at least up until 1877. The oldest portion of the building dates to circa 1830′s when the building had enlarged beyond a simple log stucture. A thid floor was added to the structure around 1905.
During the Civil War, the building may have served as a temporary headquarters for the Confederate general J.E.B. Stuart before joining the Battle of Gettysburg.
The building is believed to be haunted by the ghost of a confederate soldier whose bootsteps are heard on the center stairwell. Paranormal investigators have witnessed these sounds and the shutting of a door. The ghost may have a penchant for redecorating and has reportedly displaced several paintings.
UPDATE: The expedition concluded successfully on the morning of May 26 2013. Equipment worked well in the field; all expedition objectives were met.
Collection amounted to 20 hours of video, 20 hours of audio and 15 hours of sensor data from data acquisition sensors.
The findings may have provided potential indications on the identity of Civil War soldier (“Take Them to Private Gruber”).
— Maryland-Paranormal (@maryparanormal) July 19, 2014
Historic Savage Mill c1900s Savage MD Photo: Maryland Historical Society
Oct 13-14, 2012: Ghost Hunt/Expedition at Historic Savage Mill
Savage Mill operated as a working textile mill from 1822 to 1947. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, the mill now houses a complex of restaurants, antique and craft shops, artists-in-residence, and high-tech professional services.
The ghost expedition will primarily focus on the oldest structures, the Carding and Spinning buildings which date to 1822.
Savage Mill is believed to be haunted by the spirits of former workers, and their children who met their unfortunate deaths there. Paranormal activity has been reported in the Carding Tower and Paymaster’s Office.
“One of the deaths was that of Rebecca King, a mill worker in the 1800s, who, while carrying cotton spools and other supplies, tripped and fell to her death in the mill’s tower.”
Another Savage Mill ghost is Frances Reeley, “a young daughter of the mill’s last superintendent in the 1940s.” “Little Frances is referred to as a prankster ghost.”
She reportedly “runs along the creaking floor boards and laughs and skips in the halls along with other young ghosts.” She is also “known to trip people in staircases and peer through windows.”
The expedition will experiment with low-footprint technologies encompassing: data acquisition/tagging, RF spectrum analysis, and four-channel audio/sound stage(s).
UPDATE: The expedition concluded successfully on the morning of Oct 14 2012. Most equipment worked well in the field; however, sound stages lost power at times.
Collection amounted to 32 hours of video, 24 hours of audio and 8 hours of sensor data from data acquisition sensors.
Univ of Maryland Morrill Hall c1933 College Park MD Photo: Univ of Maryland
12 May: Ghost Hunt/Expedition at The University of Maryland, College Park Investigation sites include: Morrill Hall, Marie Mount Hall, and Rossborough Inn.
Morrill Hall is among the oldest buildings and some say the most haunted.
Marie Mount Hall is said to be haunted by the spirit of its namesake.
Rossborough Inn is said to be haunted by a spirit named Miss Betty.
UPDATE: The final expedition report is available online and has been cited in various media.
On Oct 15, 2012, the report was featured in the Baltimore Fishbowl article “What’s the Most Haunted School in Maryland?”
Oct 31 2013 Terrapin Tales: Ghostly Encounters: A Night at the Rossborough
Video courtesy of Discovery Channel “A Haunting”